Walking My Labyrinth

As I walk along, I find that I am drawn to holding my musings and moments up to the Mirror to allow proper reflection. As I examine my life and thoughts and the teachings of Spirit contained therein, I invite any and all to partake or not of my ramblings. You may be walking a different path, or in a different place on the great wheel of spirit but allow the divine thread hidden within us all to activate the catalyst for your growth. Namaste'

My Photo
Name:
Location: perpetual confusion

Saturday, November 19

Musings on Willy Wonka

Okay I did a blogwalk awhile back and found a message where this lady had talked her mother into starting a blog the same evening the two of them drank a lot of wine and watched the new version of Willy Wonka.

checking out the mother's blog (cuz I think it would be cool if I could talk my mom into writing up some of her memories like that) the mother mentioned about the predominance of drug references in the new movie.

*blink blink*

at this point I've seen the new movie in the theatre and already once since it came out on DVD and my first thought was "What drug references? Sugar? Caffeine?!? (from the chocolate)"

So I decide to watch the movie a third time with some friends who hadn't seen it and asked them to help me spot the drug references.

BAM! There are a lot of them... and all over the place... Wow, did I miss them because my mind just isn't wired that way? Or because I was more focused on noticing the differences in tone and story from the Gene Wilder version.

The new version seems more focused on the aspect of Family and the older version is more focused on Honesty... At least that's my take on it.

For me the pivotal moment at the end in the new film version is where Charlie turns his back on the largess of the Chocolate Factory because it would mean leaving his family behind. This provided the shock to Wonka that led him to reconcile with his father. This was very poignant to me because of my unresolved issues and because of how Schroedinger's Cat turns out I may or may not be able to resolve mine.

Admitedly I haven't seen the Gene Wilder version in a number of years but I tend to remember that the pivotal moment in that one was when Charlie proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was Trustworthy and able to keep a secret.

Should I be concerned about the fact that I missed the drug references the first two times through or perhaps that now I know about them it will be what I focus on if I ever watch the movie again?

Should I be feeling like I've lost my innocence? Should I be worried about the fact that I've been craving sweets recently?